Scottish Bones

Hey folks!

Long long time ago I finished a project ... Up to now I never published the final pictures. The only reason was, that I had no good camera for that. But now after four or five month later I took some better pictures. 

This piece was an important step for me for my personal painting knowledge.  Because with it I got a better understanding for color focus, partitial basing and detailed storytelling. Let me explain it row after row:

Color focus: The skeleton warrior is comparatively small to the rest of the base. If I would paint the clocktower with bright and colorfull colors, the warrior would definitly move to the backround. Then the tower would have the focus in the whole scene. So I choosed dark and cold colors for the tower and more brighter and colorfull for the miniature.

Partial basing: Usual the creating of this project was planed for a GW Games Day. The rules said, that the miniatures has to be on a gaming base. After I created the warrior, I had the vision, that he has to be placed in a medieval area. The warrior looks more friendly than ohter skletons, so he could work in a city of undeads. Maybe it would be possible to build a small house on the gaming base, but with that I had the same problem that I had with color focus. If the house (the backround) got to big, the focus on the warrior could get lost. So I built only a partitial part of the clocktower with the important elements to understand what it is. With the maximum width of the gaming base. In front you can see a small part of a medieval street. Everything reduce to the elemental parts.

Detailed storytelling: My intention at the start of this project was to create a skeleton warrior that looks more friendly. His focus isn't war, blood and death like the ususal undeads has, but the GW miniatures are very simple and not much detailed for that. I can't really explain why, but I understand that it are the small parts of life what makes the differents. So I tryed to give him more and more "real" details to make the skeleton alive. The same on the base. All these small part like the bird-poop on the roof or the small flowers on the ground gives the scene the whole character. Of course it is very important  to paint a miniature in a good way, but to create an overall good looking piece it is also important to bring as much small details in the scene as you can.  

If you would like to know how this creation was built, check out the three WIP posts:
#1 Creating the base
#2 Lets cross some bones!
#3 Colors




He's living in a city of undeads.
Where the bonish people has jobs and live together. 
They need a nightwatch, a nightwatch for the clock tower ....














Feel free to vote on:


all the best

Siggi

2 comments: