Panzer IV #2: Coloring a tank!

Hey folks!

In this part of my small "how I did my Panzer IV" series, I will show you my first essential steps of painting. If you missed the first part of the tank building klick HERE to repeat this!

For the next coming steps I used my airbrush. Usual I would say everything is possible with an ordinary brush too, but in this case it is inevitable to have one. Again and again different layers in different mediums shall find place on the tank, so it would take ages to finish it with a brush. But I don't have an expensive equipment. My airbrush pistol is an very old model by Revell. The nozzle size works like a flame thrower and I can't  controll the pressure. All my tools and additional must haves are more on of the cheaper ones. So I'm not convinced about that, that an airbrush equipment must be high expensive and has to be always the best, but it depents on the use.

Anyway, lets go back to my tank! At first I primed all with common white primer from Games Workshop out of the spray can. I decided to use only white to get a good bright base, because I know that the model will getting darker and darker with every new wash, filter, waethering effect and more. So I would safe a much bright color start as possible. 



After priming I need a lot of layers of the bright yellowish base color. But with the airbrush and a comon hair dryer it was done very fast. For the wheels I used a more black base color to get a realistic tone for the rubber parts on it. 


To get a nice and smooth camouflage look I almost used Blu-Tack and stripes to cover up the areas where I wish to have only the yellow base color. I choosed a stripes schema for the camouflage. Of course it is a lot of work to cover up all the areas, but these technique is it worth at all! I love the moment where the sprayed color is dry and it is time to remove the covers :)


Sprayed it red/ brownish....


... and enjoyed every moment after removing the tape and the Blu-Tack! 
As i said before, now the appereance of the whole tank is very bright. And it is good how it is. With the first washes it will getting darker, and there will follow a lot of them. If you start with to dark colors you could get a 'color brick'. That means a to much dark model without any contrasts later on. 


The same technique for the turret and the armour plates. 



On the left side in the picture you can see the colored wheels. Maybe you remember that I colored them total black before. To spray the inner areas red I cutted a template out of carton with a round hole inside. 


Again nice camouflaged bright colored armour plates. 


Decals for the army marks. Next time in every case with decal softer! On the picture it looks good, but in real the decal looks like a "sticker" on the model. 


In the past I did project almost with plans and ideas out of my minds. But had a lot times the experience that I'm get lost at the process of a project. In my last projects I began to write down my needed steps in bullet pionts. That almost helps me to stay on a good path. Further more projects like this needs a lot of different techniques in a correct setted order. I would definitly lost the overview with no plans on paper. So I writed down a nice manual from a model building magazine. 


Now it was time to bring the next color variations on the tank. I used oil colors to do that. With a very thin mixture of color and with spirit I brushed the mix over all areas of the tank. From time to time I mixed a little bit more brown, yellow or orange to the mixture and used that for seperate different areas. For example you could paint the whole turret in a more yellowish color. With this effect the turret is a could be part from another tank.
These small unsimular painted parts shouldn't  look totally different, but they bring more varriation in the general color. 



I used the oil to create a first rust sketch on the armour plates. For this streaks I painted small unthinned oil color streaks under the holes, and waited a moment. Then I took a bigger brush with white spirit on it to blend the streaks to smoother rust streaks. Unfortunately I have no pictures about it, but there are a lot of (youtube) tutorials in the world wide web. 


And this is the main body of the tank after a thread with an other streaking grime by MIG. How I did that and much much more weathering effects, I will explain you in my next part of 
"how to build a Panzer IV!"

all the best 

Siggi

No comments:

Post a Comment