5 Questions to Goetz Siepmann

Hey folks!
You are not alone! We are not alone! The hobby scene goes more and more bigger. I´m certain that there are more hobby nerds outside as we know. A lot of them are friends, they now each other, chat to each other - paint together. In these big bunch of boards, blogs and webpages some of them speaks to the community with daily (not us ;) ) or not daily threads and articles.  It is good how it is and more than this it supports the community in any way. 
With this new category "5 questions to ..." I wanna give some artists more the chance to introduce themselves. Some of them have now own platform to speak to the community, some of them I would like to support with their doing because my feeling speaks to me, and the other one are simply good friends of mine. To keep it exciting you will find a lot of pictures by the interviewee in the articles and one or two special questions to maybe unexpected abilities or  approaches to parts of the hobby.  

Goetz Siepmann and me met each other on facebook.com. In more and more chats about his and mine hobby stuff, I experienced that he visit a lot of competitions and is part of the Duke of Bavaria judging team. One more reason to ask 5 questions to him. So welcome Mr. Siepmann!

1. Hello Goetz! Please let us start with some facts about you. Where are you from, how old are you and how long are you in the hobby?
Hi Siggi, thank you for affording me this opportunity to tell the folks out there something about me. I’m a 41-year- old lad from Essen and I started this hobby-thing as many others in my childhood with modelling plastic kits.
Small Planes, military vehicles, ships and stuff like that was bougth from pocket money and built directly on the kitchen table (Most of them didn’t survive the playing with it afterwards...). As I grew up I turned to military vehicles more and more and someday I bought myself the first 1/35 kit. The figures that came withthose kits fascinated me from the beginning, but painting them was even more difficult then paintings tanks. In 1994 I decided to stop on tanks and changed completely to figures and I didn’t regret it ;-)

2. How would you describe your way ofdoing in the hobby? Are there for example any models, themes, products, techniques,special likes or anything else what you prefer?
Everything that attracts my attention and gives creativity a go is welcomed. That might be a film or just a picture or even a beautiful colour in an advertisment. I started with historical miniatures and added the fantasy ones after realising that there is more space to bring out  the things from inside my head. But I do both genres these days. Most of the attraction comes from the sculpt of the figure, it’s less a question regarding the theme Oh, I definitely love to build as much from scratch as possible (once a modeller... ).

Tankhunter
Volgor 
Yh-Bashur Demon Lord
3. You are a part of the judging team at one of the biggest painting shows the 'Duke of Bavaria' (DoB) in Germany. How long are you in there, how do you get in and how does it feel to judge all thesehuge great works?
Krabbe
I started judging in 2008 on the fantasy categories. As I was part of the team “behind the scenes” since my first DoB in 2002 I asked some day in 2007 the chief organiser if it would be possible to take part in judging as a trainee and in the following year I was that what you call a judge. From this date on I’ve tried to implement a fantasy jury consisting of capable german painters in an annually rotatory team to keep the judging flexible and open minded.
How does it feel? Well, it is an honour to judge on other people’s works but you need stamina to keep yourself concentrated while judging. Every miniature out there deserves to be viewed by the judges as the painter had invested a certain amountof time on his or her creation and painting. And there is no other chance to get that close and even pick up those masterpieces.

4. Do you have any hints or suggestionsfor us hobbynerds to get the next showcase level for our miniatures?
I have at least 6 hints for all those hobbynerds out there:
1. First of all: paint
2. And paint
3. Did I mention that you should paint? Seriously, you should invest time on painting as you have to become familiar with the paints and their abilities,with your brushes, the right amount of dilution and stuff like that. You have to know your tools to use them properly; just reading about others painting styles is definitely not enough to develop you own.
4. Visit places, where other painters meet: a workshop would be fine or a show with some competition. Take your figures with you and talk to other painters about your stuff or put it into the competitionand see your works next to others, even a visual comparison with other miniatures might help you with your improvement. And you might have the chance to talk with the judges about your painting, too.
5. If your figure has received a beautiful paintjob, then put it into a fitting and worthy environment, create a base and paint that, too: your figure doesn’t deserveit to be put into a railroad environment, where the colours look all the same.
6. Slotta bases are for the gaming table, not for the cabinet. Get a wooden/ plastic/resin or even glass base four your creation and make it more stand out. Keep aneye on the whole composition, including the base.

Ivar, Northern Raider
Seelenfischer
5. How would you explain the hobby to astranger and what is it what keeps your heart burning for the hobby?
I tell the folks that I am collecting tin soldiers... This statement is enough for most of the people to get bored BUT if they are still interested I show them some pictures of my works and tell them afterwards how small these figures are. Most of them a really impressed.
What does my heart keep burning for the hobby? I’ve married my painting buddy a few years ago and as my wife and I share this hobby there’s always someone with a different point of view and constructive criticism if you get stuck.

Otto Knüppel, FT-Obergast, H.M U 54, 1917
Here is your place for any last words to our followers:
Having fun is the key!

Thanks a lot Goetz!

If you want to see and know more about Goetz Siepmann check out
http://www.puttyandpaint.com/Goetz_Siepmann





No comments:

Post a Comment