Scottish Bones #2: Lets cross some bones!

Hey folks!

In my first post about the undead nightwatch I explained my doing on the base. If you missed it, check out the post HERE. Now it´s time to show you how I built him. but before let me explain my thoughts about the project as a small reminder. 
I really like skeletons because of two reasons: The first one is the character. Usual they look dark, evil and to dead to kill them again. They are creatures from hell and rise from the dead. All in all undeads or more skeletons are my incarnation of evil. The second reason is more the practicable use of the models. They are very easy to dismantle and the plastic bits allows a big bunch of new postures. Additionally to that they are faster to paint because it´s less surfaces to paint and the atmosphere comes with the sourounding. 
These two reasons make the kind of miniatures to one of my favourites. With this miniature I would like to create amore living character. It should look more "alive", in best case emotional. So I built a posture without the common fighting influences. The focus is more on a daily activity by the skeleton. He could be a nightwatch in an medieval undead city and do his job by checking the correct time in the old clock tower ...

That´s the backround. Contrary to my usual doing with creating a miniature on a story base, I had now clue about the final looking of the whole composition. The base idea of the base came after I created the nightwatch. 
Enough thoughts, let´s go to work!


It starts with small steps ....
... to generate a neutral standing position away from the fighting and running  stand.
Putting more bits on it. 

Metalsticks are always looking more realistic than the plastic shafts. 

The front armour need some straps. 

With a combination of one part Greenstuff and one part Miliput ...

... I sculpted these straps. 


The combination of both putties generates harder edges and it´s easier to sand it after drying. 
I don´t like to sculpt big things with putty. Instead of this I used metal foil and thin wire to create a kilt and a belt. The good side of the material is, you can do it again and again and again in case of you don´t like your result. When it was fine, I fixed it with superglue. With a small layer of liquid Greenstuff the kilt looks more like cloth.

Adding more details.






More and more details, and finished ready to paint!
What I have been learned after the whole process is that the details are very important for a good miniature and story. You can be a very very good painter, but with it also essential to bring as much details on a model as you can. It gives more live to it and forms a true character. 

I hope you like it! In the next part I go over to painting. 

Feel free to comment and enjoy your week!

all the best

Siggi




4 comments:

  1. It's very interesting to see how you managed to add different details. Very creative. Keep up that great work mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freakin awesome dude!
    Look forward to seeing more of that skellywag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More of that cool lad, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it, real fantasy stuff. Motivational.

    ReplyDelete