Welcome to new guy!

Ladies and gentlemen: We proudly present a new member in the 5-th-dimension ...

please give a big big applause to the awesome and unique 


 ! Kyle aka Mr. Lee !



Hey Kyle! Welcome to the 5-th-dimension. It's a pleasure for us to have you on board. At first please tell us some facts about yourself. Where are you from, where do live now and how old are you?
Hi Siggi.. glad to be here! Originally I am from Canada, but some might know me more from my adventures in Turkey over the past 8+ yrs, which is a decent chunk of my 33 yrs so far. Though these days I am living in UK due to a transfer in my day job. 

How long have you been in the hobby and what was the main event to start with it?
I actually started way back when I was in Elementary school ( ’88 or ’89? ) to be honest. Back when Ral Partha miniatures and D&D were really big. My first real gaming models were for our campaigns that my friends and I would run on weekends. The models were to help prevent us from arguing on if a monster could hit ( and kill us ) or not J

Do you remember on your first miniatures and where are they now?
It was actually 2 Dark Sun Dwarves from Ral Partha. Painted with testors oil paints back in the 80s. I remember the weirdest feature of them was that they looked to be holding giant toilet cleaning brushes as 2 handed weapons. If I were to look for them, I think they are still around in a box somewhere in my studio now.

Please tell us your way, and what you are doing in the hobby since you join it until now.
For me it has been a wild ride. As I started first with just single D&D characters, to entire armies, to commission painting armies, to now where I like to find unique models to paint up! I used to be a heavy user of base color, drybrush, ink and then throw some sand or flock on it and call it a day. But about 2 yrs ago, I wanted to begin to do better, and started to do classes in Germany to learn new techniques and get out of my comfort zone.

Was there a big event on the way, which you cannot forget?
The big event for me actually was when I went to a workshop that Dervish held in Aachen 2 years ago. I had an inflated ego thinking I knew what I was doing for painting due to people in Turkey saying I had nice models. Wow was I in for a surprise when I realized that I knew nothing about painting, and that it was a much longer journey ahead of me! Will never forget that workshop now, and although I might have felt bad for even going at the time, I think it was a great moment to push me forward in my painting career.

Do you more like to paint, or are you more focused on basing or the production of the whole, do you like to build huge scenes or more the small things, or, or, ....?
I have to say that I like the painting portion of this hobby the most. It allows me to just forget what is happening, and just concentrate on the model. I really like to paint unique pieces which are a big change from painting full armies. I still do the occasional army or squad painting, but I find that it is not as enjoyable as it once was.


What is your favorite color and why?
Blue. Does not matter which Blue, any of them work for me. I cannot say that I have a specific color that I like the best. I know many say things like Dark Sea Blue or Tank Brown.. but I do not think I have come across a color that I use so much that it overrides all others.

Do you prefer any miniatures, or any companies in the hobby?
If you asked me 2 yrs ago, I would have said Games Workshop pieces. But since trying to improve my painting skills, I seem to also be trying to improve the type of models that I begin to work on. Currently I am more interested in larger models in the 200mm+ category though.  

Do you play tabletops or any other 'fantastic' games?
I keep trying to get back to gaming, but honestly I am not sure I have the heart for it anymore. I am not a big fan of the competition style that most play these days, and prefer a more casual environment.
I am actually looking forward to more co-op styled board games over this year as the kickstarters I backed come to fruitation!

Please give notes (1=very good to 6=very very bad) to the terms:
Fantasy: 2
Steampunk: 4
SiFi: 3
Orcs: 1
Elves: 5
Chaos: 2
LotR: 2
Good guys: 4
Bad guys: 2
There are more companies than GW: 2
Other paintaholics like me: 2


Kyle, this isn´t your first blogging career. Most people should know you under your nickname Mr. Lee from Mr. Lees Painting Emporium. You have a nice and fine community over there. So when and why did you start to blog?
This actually started a few years back. It was mainly another last ditch effort to show off a bit of what it was like living in Turkey, but from my hobby side. I have tried other blogs on just travelling or life abroad, but I could not find enough inspiration to keep it going. With this hobby, and painting I was able to kind of mix the 2 together.

Now it is more of a place where I can explain my thoughts behind a workshop, or style, or share others works. I have tried to get more guest posts and others to post on my blog, but it never really worked out. Guess I was waiting for an invite to a larger community to get involved with!
J

How do you found the way to the 5-th-dimension?
I actually found it through multiple sources to be honest. First through other blog rolls that were linked to myself, but also through online forums. Then there are the people talking about a tutorial or 2 shown here or there that could help me in my works. Of course it helped to be able to meet some of its members throughout the last year at model shows, or workshops! Which was really great!




Why you decided to join us?
You asked me to? J Just kidding. Actually I like the community feeling that comes with painting. Especially within the European scene!  And to be part of a group like this one is just great! My hope is to be able to learn and improve myself through the feedback that I know I will get from this group and its followers. J

Mr. Lee ... where was your nickname born?
It is actually what everyone called my grandfather when he was with us. He was a really great guy who was a true renaissance man when it came to skills. He would do whatever it took to get through a problem or help out. On top of all that he was also a very talented canvas painter. He was the first person to really encourage me in painting or drawing, and trying to get me to push my boundaries. This is kind of my homage to him to keep his artist spirit alive so to speak.

Do you have any ideas about your first posts on the blog? What could we expect from Kyle aka Mr. Lee as a member in the 5-th-dimension?
Honestly a lot that I can put forth will be concerning model shows, and the lead up to them. I am really hoping to attend a lot of different kind of shows around UK and Europe this year. I would like to show off what it is like to join them as a foreigner, a beginner, and also the journey of prepping or making some of my projects to enter in their competitions.




Any last words for the interview and any first words to our followers?
Only thing I can say is that I am really excited to be part of the 5-th-dimension crew, and look forward to what the future brings!


Thanks a lot Kyle! I´m sure we will have a great time together :) So thanks once more for joining us, and we are looking forward to read you here! 



1 comment: