As the end of the year passed by my
focus shifts to the competitions I will be attending next year and the
models I will be painting for them. The first big comp coming up is Salute, which is held at the Excel centre in London in April and this is my game plan for it!
So, my entries will be
1. J3ff for Sci fi Single, he is still relatively early wip, expect to some progress on him in Feb
2. Vezdekhod 47, for Sci fi Vehicle/Monster, he is finished, but I need to make a name plate for him
3. Strife for Fantasy Single, there is still 10 hours or so sculpting left but I know exactly what I want from the paint job
4. Blood Demon and Fiends for
Fantasy Wargame Unit, this is a new project which I haven't shown you
guys and girls yet, so click on the link for a teaser :)
5. Slann Mage Priest for Fantasy Creature, 100% finished
6. Samurai for Large Scale, I've actually have been chipping away at him for the last few months, he is a about 65% finished
7. and DAKKA DAKKA!! Will enter the Misc category, unless my Mongol Warrior bust is the best thing since sliced bread ;)
8. The Crusader for historical single, which, to be honest, is not a wise choice, the model will clash in style with the other models in category (realistic vs bobble head) and then I've gone and painted it in a style which is miles away from the accepted way of painting historical models,
So there is a lot of
work ahead, but I think it's a realistic amount that I can handle, the
only doubt in my mind is the Blood Demon squad, I haven't painted a
display standard squad for a good few years and I've been having some
issues imaging how the colours will work on the squad, which could
hinder progress, if there is to be a sacrificial lamb it will be that squad!
Now on to progress! This is the Crusader from Nuts Planet and I decided early on that I was going to stick to a limited palette of temperature contrasting colours and so far, it has been... interesting to say the least!
At the moment I am still not 100% comfortable with the colour scheme, I think the paintjob whilst interesting, over all lacks a bit of subtlety, the face still needs work as does some of the leather.
The main concerns I have at the moment are his shield and cloak, originally I had a nice free hand picked out for the shield, but am struggling to see how I can fit appropriate freehand within the stripes, also the cloak is just too flat at the moment, I'd love to get some freehand on there but the folds would obscure the shape and form of a big design, more thought is need on both!
If you have any suggestions or ideas leave em below!