Vezdekhod 47

Ello folks, here is the finished Dust Tactics Medium Assault Walker, I nicknamed it Vezdekhod 47, (wikipedia says its means "He who goes anywhere" or "all-terrain vehicle" in Russian) I renamed it since the original model is supposed to be American and I wanted to move away from that association, also the name 'Medium Assault Walker' isn't the catchiest! 

The model was painted in a zenithal lighting style with a twist of realism, the white wash camo effect is straight out of the military modelling play book, the white wash is tinted blue to create a temperature contrast with the red armour colour, the icicles and the resin on the base are tinted similar.

The ice on the base was created using poured paraffin wax, again this is an old school military modelling technique, I haven't had much chance to play with it but I've seen it used very effectively. The decals are from Industria Mechanika and fit in really well with the theme (the decal set has a boss Lenin stencil decal which I would have loved to use but I couldn't make it fit!), the last bit of detail I can thing to talk about are the domed lenses on the front of the walker, this effect was created by painting the lens like I normally would then applying clear epoxy glue over the top of them!

If you are curious about how I achieved the camo effect you can find my step by step Here 

If you would like to vote for the Vezdekhod you can find him on Putty&Paint and CoolMiniorNot

Thanks 

John

5 comments:

  1. Very nice result John.

    Raffa said to me at gamesday: "If you see a miniature and don't know how he have done this, it's perfect."

    So John,perfect work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece! :)
    Could you please provide a bit more detail around how you worked with the paraffin wax? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thomas, the paraffin wax is fairly straight forward to use, I already had built the walls for the resin to be poured into (acetate paper, strengthened by plasticard)so all I had to do was pour the paraffin wax in and let it cool.
      The wax I have is beaded wax, it comes in small droplets that can be cut up, I placed the beads of wax in the base to get a rough idea how much I would need, then transfered that amount into the lid from a spray can, then sat the lid in a saucepan of water, the water was about 30mm deep.
      I brought the water up to a gently boil, this slowly melted the wax until it was liquid, I then quickly poured the wax into the base, the wax will stay liquid for a good 10 seconds but you do need to be quick.
      I then tilted the base back and forth to ensure the wax got into all the small space and then let it cool. It's important to judge the amount of wax you need accurately because it can be messy to remove parts of it, if you do need to remelt some of the wax on the base then you can use a hairdryer.

      Delete